Thursday, May 23, 2013

Polka Dot Days of Motherhood

This is one of my favorite places, my front porch and these darling polka dot pillows were a mothers day gift. My daughters know me so well. I simply adore them. Funny how polka dots can brighten someones day. Just a little something sweet can bring a smile, lighten a load, refresh a tired heart. 



Speaking of tired hearts... one thing that can wear us out completely is motherhood. How exactly does a woman wrap her mind, her heart around it? It captures every ounce of her soul and requires every ounce of her will. 
Every ounce.
 It gives so much, but it also requires so much... so much more than I think I have in me some days... okay, a lot of days.




I want to share some 'polka dot kind of words' from Ann Voscamp (author of One Thousand Gifts) with you. I trust it will be a breath of fresh air to your spirit today dear one.

If we’re honest– and what else is there really — there were burnt dinners and yelling mornings and neck strained words over lost shoes and scattered Lego's and unfinished homework and there were crumpled tears behind bathroom doors.
Not to mention the frozen pizzas and no clean underwear and the wild words no one would want the cameras rolling for.
And the realization — that a mother’s labor and delivery never ends and you never stop having to remember to breathe.
The deal is — Motherhood isn’t sainthood and we’re all a bunch of sinners here and don’t let anyone tell you any different — pushing something out of your womb doesn’t make you a better woman. Real Womanhood isn’t a function of becoming a great mother, but of being loved by your Great Father. Someone write that on a card with a bouquet of flowers. We all need that.

A mother's labor and delivery never ends and you never stop having to remember to breathe.   Oh, what insightful words. It's so true! It's been a long time since I delivered my little ones. But Ann is right, the laboring continues. The remembering to breathe deep & steady is as critical today as it was 16 years ago. I have two great teenagers and one sweet  tween in my house now. Gone are the days of toys on the floor, spilt milk, sticky fingers, crying toddlers and lack of freedom.  But I can tell you these days are still exhausting... emotionally, spiritually and yes, physically.

 Our evenings are spent on hard bleachers so we can cheer for and believe in our kids. They know we are there. They see us. They sense our presence. They hear our voices of assurance and support. It's everything to them... just like it was when they were 8 months old.  It's different now, but  still so much the same.  We sit for hours  in the snow, in the rain, in the heat, in the cold.  We used to sit with them for hours playing and reading books... to bond, to invest.  Now we sit and watch them from a distance... and do the same. 
 Every new season of parenting is about
 Finding A Way.
Finding a way to love. 
Finding a way to stay connected.
 Finding a way to bond. 
Finding a way to believe. 
Finding  ways to say you are important to me, you matter, I am here.


I remember cheering for my  son when he was 2 as he flew down the slide all by himself and managed to land on his feet safely in the sand.   Now my son is 16 and I still cheer for him when he slides in the sand  only now it's safely into 2nd base.  Nothing really changes... always  Love, always Presence.

Today, in the midst of the emotions puberty brings, the cruelness of teenage girls, the unfairness of life, GPA's to maintain, first jobs to navigate, cars to drive,  practices to endure, temptations real, pressures mounting, serious decisions to be made... I have to remember  to breathe deep as I walk my kids through this thing called life... the labor and delivery of my children never ends...
 it changes its rhythm
 but it never ends.



So young mom, veteran mom, we are in this for the long haul, for the marathon... it's a beautiful thing, a precious gift, a role we can thrive in... if we will just remember
 to Love , to Breathe and to give Presence.





You and I are God's beloved daughters. His prized possessions. He is crazy about you! Sit in that place, bask in that knowledge, settle into that truth, because from what I'm told,  motherhood  never gets easy. Empty Nester's will tell you they worry more for their kids now than when they were raising them. Hard to believe, unless we remember that the laboring and delivering never ends.


I'd suggest you stop holding your breath, waiting for the season when it will be  
Easy. Simple. Light. Free. 
It never will be. Not ever.
But that's okay because
 when you learn to breathe deep, love with presence and function like you know you are God's beloved... I promise, you will experience 'polka dot' kind of days where rest is found, smiles abound and hearts are stilled.


With you on this journey that requires every ounce we have and grateful for a  God who supplies it and replenishes it abundantly and daily,

Amy Joy







5 comments:

  1. I always feel like a am a quart low...my boys take more than every ounce! Thanks for the thoughts to chew on thru my chores. Noah lost a friend in a farm accident this week-I am sooo aware today of how brief, fragile and precious my time with my children really is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Amy...just when I think I am the only one in my distressing mornings of wiping boogers and changing diapers, it is so nice hearing you talk about your experiences. Thank you for being such an encouragement to me in your openness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Amy! I hope me and my girls can come through the struggle of the teen years and they will still communicate with me. And still turn to Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very inspirational Amy! You have convicted me to love with presence! I feel like often I operate in survival mode...just waiting for that easy, quiet, peaceful moment with the boys to come. That is really almost comical now thinking about it...3 tween boys and quiet, peaceful moments...what an oxymoron! I love the boys dearly, but do not always give thanks for the present moment I have with them...especially the tough or rushed moments. Thanks for reminding me to live and love thankfully moment by moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Motherhood easy? I must say though, I think in 2008 the Lord looked down at me and said, "her life is getting a little too easy. The oldest has never given her problems and the younger 2 (360 days apart) are about to head off to school. It's time to throw a wrench in there. Time for you adopt a 12 yr old blind GIRL from a different country." :)

    There are MANY days when I say, "Lord really? You trust ME to raise these girls?!? To raise them to be good mothers too?" There have been many what we call "silly suppers" (cereal for supper) There have been many days where my poor husband has come to me and said, "um, can you do some laundry today 'cause I'm out of clean underwear." (Such a patient man I'm married to. :))

    Thank you Amy for your words of advice, "learn to breath deep and love like you know you are God's beloved."

    No, motherhood is not easy but it IS a blessing, even when you haven't gone through actual labor and delivery to be a mom. :) God has brought you to where you are and Jeremiah 29 tells us His plans are to prosper us NOT to harm us. We just need to seek Him with all our heart.

    Blessing to all you moms going through the struggles of motherhood.
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete

Polka Dot Days of Motherhood

This is one of my favorite places, my front porch.  And these darling polka dot pillows were a mothers day gift.  I simply adore them (my...